Boat Show Demographics
Boat Show Demographics
The demographics of boat show visitors are very strong for advertising purposes.
(Photo source: http://www.mby.com/news/438786/boat-show-figures-9-down-on-2009)
You might be interest in learning about boating industry demographics and boater income and demographics in Washington State:
According to the NMMA (National Marine Manufacturers Association):
- Number of recreational boats in Washington: 254,775
- Recreational Boating Industry Businesses: 1427
- Total Annual Financial Impact of Recreational Boating in Washington: $3.18 Billion
- Total boating related jobs in Washington: 25,585
- Annual Recreational Boating-Related Spending: $1.3 Billion
According to the NMMA’s Recreational Boating Statistical Abstract from 2012:
Boating remains a middle-class recreational activity. Eighty-one percent
of adults who went boating in 2012 had a household income less than
$100,000; sixty-five percent had a household income less than $75,000.
(Only 16 percent had a household income of $100,000 or greater.)
Boating participants were more likely to be male (58 percent), younger
than age 50 (74 percent) and have a household income of $50,000–
$99,999 (41 percent).
Approximately seven percent of boating participants were age 65 or
older and 10 percent were retired. Eight percent of boating participants
were Hispanic and 10 percent were African American.
Boater demographics of course vary by state and by individual boat show.
According to a 2007 press release from the Washington Boat Show, here are specific demographics for the 2007 Washington Boat Show:
- 47% are from Maryland
- 45% are from Virginia
- 5% from Washington, DC
- 3% from elsewhere
- 63% have household incomes greater than $100,000.00
- 27% have household incomes greater than $150,000.00
- Washington Boat Show attendees are from the two richest counties in America: Fairfax County, VA & Montgomery County, MD, and they are here to buy.
- 59% currently own a boat; 69% plan to buy a boat. They have shopped the other shows, but they will buy at the Washington Boat Show.
- Almost everyone plans to buy accessories at the Washington Boat Show.
- The typical attendee is married with children, a homeowner, and is between 35 – 54 years of age. He attends the Washington Boat Show with his wife.